What Does The FOP Do For ME?
As a dues paying member, You receive the following benefits:
- The Strength and Unity of 356,000+ members and the experience of 100 years of Service; the Fraternal Order of Police is the largest and most respected organization in the world.
- The FOP is THE voice of law enforcement in Washington DC and Lansing
- Michigan Governor Appointed Positions
- MCOLES (FOP was the first Labor group from its inception in 1965)
- State 911 Committee
- Sherriff’s Training and Coordinating Advisory Committee
- Suicide Prevention Commission
- Responsible Retirement Reform Task Force
- FOP was the driving force behind major bills that effect law enforcement officers.
- MI FOP was instrumental on the bill for children of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. Each child receives 4 years of paid college at any State university.
- The Grand Lodge or the FOP offers a self-funded LEGAL DEFENSE PLAN available to FOP groups or individuals to cover LE exposures, including administrative, civil, and criminal legal coverage; HR 218 coverage: and moonlighting liability insurance program.
- NATIONAL PEACE OFFICERS MEMORIAL SERVICE – This solemn event held every year on May 15th, during National Police Week, to honor those who have given their lives in the line of duty. Open to the public, it brings together the expanded law enforcement family and national leaders, pays tribute to the fallen officers and offers words of comfort to their surviving family members. This event is paid for by the FOP.
- Education Services committee develops and implements professional LE Training programs and events to equip members with skills needed to enhance their careers, and establish a training schedule covering wide spectrum of leadership, labor and legal issues. The Grand Lodge and Local lodges provide scholarships to eligible applicants.
- Free College - FOP Members and their immediate family members can receive an associates or bachelors degree, totally free of charge.
- National Fraternal Order of Police University (NFOPU)
- FOP collaborates with a select consortium of universities willing to offer members the education they need with a flexible schedule and reasonable cost.
- Disaster Relief As part of the NFOP Foundation, the Fraternal Order of Police Disaster Relief fund (non profit 501c3 organization) relies on the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations and is always prepared to assist our members in distress i.e.; Hurricane Katrina/Sandy/Joplin/Isaac, Ferguson, Oklahoma City, Wildfires out West
- Charity Partnerships
- Easter Seals
- MI Special Olympics
- Law Enforcement Torch Run (MI FOP is 1 of 3 Statewide Run Teams)
- MI Police Memorial - (MI FOP only police group to be major fundraiser and sponsor of the memorial)
- Life Insurance- MI FOP provides $3,000 accidental death and dismemberment insurance policy on every member.
- Emergency Legal and Fraternal Assistance in times of crisis in times of crisis- such as the incidents in Ferguson MO – where the FOP lodges in 2 different states formed 24/7 protection and safe harbors for the officer and his family, for months without cost to the officer. Maryland Lodge #3 in Baltimore Will be providing legal defense for all 6 officers now indicted and headed for trial.
- Discounts on insurance, mortgage, great banking rates, and many more benefits.